Friday, June 12, 2009

RE:introduction

After a long pause from blogging I decided to follow the way of our culture and re-package my blog and sell it as something else! Now in all seriousness, I miss writing out my thoughts and experiences. As I reflect on the introduction to my old blog (which has now been integrated into this one) I have one purpose in blogging...to think deeper: to get my thoughts on cyber-paper in a coherent and understandable way.

I still desire to write about the economy, societal issues, God, and the general goings of life. The twist to this new blog is that I will be documenting my journey into a new adventure...a business that I hope to startup in the next couple of years.

If you’re lucky enough to come across this blog I welcome your comments, suggestions, advice, and input.

There’s a real passion within me to make this first post of great significance, to start this building of a masterpiece/making of an epic. However, I will sign off tonight with a few thoughts.

Americans are the least intentional of all people. I witnessed this yesterday at the dermatologist. A 60 year old woman began to act like a kid in a candy store after seeing an advertisement for palomar laser treatments. This laser is so life changing it claims to remove unwanted hair, wrinkles, and can help you look 10 years younger. After causing a scene in the lobby of the dermatologist, this woman learns the treatment is only $1600. She exclaims to her friend, “with all the poverty, homelessness, and hunger in our world I can’t see myself spending $1600 on myself.” “If it will make you happy and give you confidence, you should do it!”, her friend says in a calming manner. Finally, the woman exclaims, “I’ll look great...you’re right!”

This lack of intention is what’s driving my return to the blogosphere. Did the woman even consider how far $1600 could go in helping feed the need? Did she care? I walked into the doctor’s office disappointed with the woman, wondering what could have come if she would have thought about those less fortunate a little more. This woman’s wrinkle-free face will not bring her happiness in the long run. When the wrinkles return, what then?

As I sat in disgust I realized this woman is a reflection of my own life. I often think about societal issues, think about the economy, think about Jesus, think about starting a business....and all too often let the thoughts drift onward as my life becomes hoarded with work and a whole lot of “me”. In short this blog is about becoming more intentional, thinking deeper, and documenting a business adventure....perhaps it will be the “making of an epic”.

EPIC Thought:
Is our issue having too much on our plate or just not caring enough to drive us into action?

No comments:

Post a Comment